Aloha! I've been absent from the blog for four weeks now as my family went for a vacation to Hawaii recently. In coming back, there were a few days of unpacking...after that... a much needed break from the internet. This created a quieting of the mind which is necessary from time to time to refocus on the more important things in life. For me, it's my time with my God and my family...it's refreshing and a really wonderful chance to grow.
Hawaii - what an awesome place on earth! It created impressionable memories and the the icing on the cake was that our family grew even closer than ever before. Although I have lived in Europe in my mid 20's, there's no other place that has charmed me most than the islands of Hawaii. I can't wait to go back!
When we were in Maui, I noticed that fish tacos were popular there. My son actually enjoyed eating at a place called Coconut's Fish Cafe. Inspired by their popular fish taco recipe, I thought of creating my own version, plant based style. This can also be done without the tacos as an option. Corn and corn products are considered one of those popular items that have been genetically modified. However, this brand is the only one I trust as they do not use any GMO ingredients in their products. Check out their website here.
"Hawaiian Inspired" Taco Salad
Ingredients (Preferably Organic
For the salad:
3 c. green cabbage, cut into strips or shredded
1 c. purple cabbage cut into strips or shredded
6-8 pcs. Food For Life organic sprouted corn tortillas (this is frozen)
For the toppings:
1 c. tomatoes, cut into cubes
1 c. ripe mangoes, cut into cubes
2 Tbsp. red onions, minced
1/2 to 1 piece jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
1/4 c. coriander leaves, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. lime juice (extra lime to squeeze on top of taco)
1 avocado, sliced into segments or into cubes
For the dressing:
1/4 c. tahini
1 small clove of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. lime juice
2 Tbsp. unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. maple syrup or coconut nectar
1 tsp. brown mustard
Celtic sea salt to taste (optional)
1/4 c. filtered water
1. Prepare the cabbage and defrost the tacos. They can also be lightly toasted if desired.
2. Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a blender and process until smooth.
3. Add the dressing to the cabbage and let it sit for about 10 mins. to soften them.
4. Mix the mangoes, tomatoes, lime juice, half of the onions, half of the coriander leaves and half of the jalapeno.
5. Assemble the tacos before serving: the cabbage on the bottom followed by the mango/tomato salsa then top with more onions, jalapeno and coriander leaves and then add the avocado last. Squeeze extra lime on top of each taco if desired. Enjoy!
Here's a few pictures of Hawaii. More to come in the upcoming blogs.
This last shot is a picture of Austin. He definitely enjoyed the variety of beaches of Maui and Oahu. I hope you're enjoying your summer.